Rules of Pesticide Science Society of Japan
(revised on May 28th, 2011)
Chapter 1 General Rule
Article 1 This academic society is named "Pesticide Science Society of Japan" (hereinafter called "PSSJ").
Article 2 PSSJ is located in the office of Japan Plant Protection Association at 2-28-10 Nakazato, Kita-ku, Tokyo.
Chapter 2 Objective and Business
Article 3 The objective of PSSJ is to promote the comprehensive progress and development of scientific research and technology on pesticides.
Article 4 PSSJ pursues the following activities to achieve the objective provided in Article 3:
1. Publication of the Society's journals and other issues;
2. Holding of an annual meeting and other meetings such as lecture presentations, and seminars;
3. Communications among members, scientific and technical trainings, encouragement of scientific research, and official commendation and honoring of members for their academic achievements and contributions to PSSJ;
4. Communication and cooperation with domestic and foreign related academic societies and organizations;
5. Research and investigations as well as proposals on pesticides;
6. Other necessary activities to achieve the objective provided in Article 3.
Chapter 3 Membership
Article 5 The membership composition of PSSJ shall be as follows:
1. Full members;
2. Honorary members;
3. Lifetime members;
4. Student members;
5. Overseas members;
6. Sustaining members;
7. Organization members;
8. Subscriber members
Article 6 1. A full member is an individual who agrees to the objective of PSSJ and is enrolled therein.
2. A student member is a student or an educand who is enrolled in a university or a college (including a graduate school) and other school, and wishes to be enrolled in PSSJ as a student member.
3. An overseas member is an individual who subscribes the Society's journal, newsletters and other issues outside Japan.
4. A sustaining member is a group, organization, or individual enrolled in PSSJ to support the activities thereof.
5. An organization member is a group which agrees to the objective of PSSJ and is enrolled therein.
6. A subscriber member is an individual entitled only to receive the Society's journal.
Article 7 1. An honorary member is an individual who has made outstanding academic achievements in the research of pesticides or have particular contributions to PSSJ, and who is recommended by the President with discussions at the Board of Council Members and approved at the General Assembly.
2. A lifetime member is a member who has been for a long period of time as a member and has contributed to the developments of PSSJ, and who is recommended by the President and approved by the Board of Council Members.
Article 8 The members other than an honorary and a lifetime member must pay the following annual fee in advance:
1. Full member (annual amount) 10,000 yen
2. Student member (annual amount) 2,000 yen;
3. Overseas member (annual amount: paying in the Japanese yen) 5,000 yen (however, 2,000 yen for a member who proves their studentship in writing);
4. Sustaining member (annual fee for one (1) unit) 100,000 yen;
5. Organizing member (annual amount) 7,000 yen;
6. Subscriber member (annual amount) 7,000 yen;
Article 9 An individual or an organization that is willing to enroll in PSSJ must fill out the application form, submit it to the Office along with the annual fee, and obtain the approval by the Standing Committee.
Article 10 The members shall have the following rights:
1. Receiving the Society's journal and other issues;
2. Submitting manuscripts for publication in the Society's journal;
3. Attending the Society's annual meeting and other Society's organizing meetings and conferences as well as the General Assembly to present findings or progress of their research and technology and to give lectures and their opinions; and
4. Electing Officers or being elected as Officers,
5. Provided that Article 10 4. shall not be applied to the overseas members and Articles 10 2., 3. and 4. shall not be applied to the sustaining, organizing and subscriber members.
Article 11 A member, who wishes to withdraw from PSSJ, must submit the notice of withdrawal to the Office, provided that the membership fee already paid shall not be refunded.
Article 12 1. A member, who has not paid the membership fee for two (2) years, shall be considered as being withdrawn from PSSJ.
2. A member, who has performed an act against the spirit of PSSJ, the President may expel his or her membership from PSSJ with the approval of the Board of Council Members.
Chapter 4 Officers and Committee Members
Article 13 PSSJ has the following officers:
1. One (1) President;
2. Three (3) Vice President;
3. Council Members (consisting of seventy (70) members who are mutually elected, twenty (20) or less members who are appointed by the President and members who had been the President or Vice President in the past);
4. Two (2) Auditors; and
5. A few Advisors.
Article 14 1. The President represents PSSJ and supervises all affairs of PSSJ.
2. The Vice Presidents assist the President and, when the President is in any emergency that prevents the President from performing his or her duties, they shall act for the duties of the President.
3. The Council Members discuss important affairs of PSSJ.
4. The Auditors audit accounts of PSSJ.
5. The Advisors provide advices and suggestions to the consultations of President on important affairs of PSSJ.
Article 15 One (1) President, one (1) Vice President, seventy (70) Council Members and two (2) Auditors are mutually elected from among the full, honorary, lifetime and student members.
Article 16 Two (2) Vice Presidents, twenty (20) or less Council Members and Advisors are appointed by the President and their respective duties may be entrusted with the approval of the Board of Council Members.
Article 17 1. The term of officers shall be two (2) years. The President shall not be reappointed.
2. The term of the officers commences on April 1st.
3. The officers perform their duty until their successors replace them, even after the expiration of the term.
4. When there arises any need to supplement officer, the President appoints him/her and his/her duty is entrusted with the approval of the Board of Council Members, provided that the term for the supplemented officer whose duty is entrusted, shall be the remaining term of the predecessor.
Article 18 1. PSSJ has some Standing Committee Members from Council Members.
2. The Standing Committee Members assist the President and Vice Presidents, and discuss the execution of PSSJ's affairs at any time.
3. The Standing Committee Members are appointed by the President from among the Council Members and their duties are entrusted with the approval of the Board of Council Members.
Article 19 1. PSSJ may have the Editorial Committee Members and other Expert Committee Members.
2. The Expert Committee Members take charge of the special affairs of PSSJ.
3. The Expert Committee Members are appointed by the President from among the members and their duties are entrusted with the approval by the Standing Committee.
Chapter 5 Conferences and Meetings
Article 20 Conferences and Meetings consist of the General Assembly, and meetings of the Board of Council Members, Standing Committee and the Expert Committee.
Article 21 The General Assembly shall be called annually by the President. Extraordinary General Assembly shall be called by the President, when the President deems necessary, or at the request of the Board of Council Members or at the request of one fifth or more of the members indicating matters to be discussed at the Assembly.
Article 22 The General Assembly shall be held under attendance consisting of the full, honorary, lifetime and student members.
Article 23 The decision at the General Assembly shall require a majority of all attendees in vote, provide that, in a case of a tie vote, the chairman of the General Assembly (President) shall make the decision.
Article 24 The President serves as the chairman of the General Assembly, provided that, when both the President and the Vice presidents are in any emergency that prevents them from performing their duties at the Assembly, a Council Member appointed by the President acts for the chairman.
Article 25 At the General Assembly, the following matters must be discussed and approved: amendment of the Rules of PSSJ, approval of report of past activities and financial statements, approval of future activity plans and budget proposals, and any other important general affairs.
Article 26 The President may execute any urgent matters that should be discussed and approved at the General Assembly, with the approval of the Board of Council Members, provided that the urgent matters executed must be approved at the next General Assembly.
Article 27 The Board of Council Members shall consist of the President, the Vice President and the Council Members.
Article 28 The Board of Council Members shall be called by the President, when he/she deems necessary, or at the request of one fifth or more of the Council Members.
Article 29 The President serves as the chairman of the Board of the Council Members.
Article 30 The Board of the Council Members discusses and approves matters that shall be submitted to the General Assembly and be approved, matters that shall require the approval of the Board of the Council Members, and any other important matters.
Article 31 The Board of the Council Members shall not make a decision in the meeting, unless one third or more of the total Council Members attend the meeting, provided that those who have showed in advance their intention in writing on the agenda for the meeting shall be considered as attendees.
Article 32 The decision of the Board of the Council Members shall require a majority of all attendees in vote in the meeting, provided that, in case of a tie vote, the chairman of the meeting shall make the decision.
Article 33 The Standing Committee shall consist of the President, the Vice Presidents and the Standing Committee Members.
Article 34 The President shall serve as the chairman of the Standing Committee, provided that, when both the President and the Vice presidents are in any emergency that prevents them from performing their duties, the chairman shall be selected mutually by the constituent members.
Article 35 The Standing Committee executes ordinary affairs of PSSJ.
Article 36 The decision of the standing Committee shall require a majority of all attendees, provided that, in case of the tie vote, the chairman shall make a decision.
Article 37 The Expert Committees have their own chairman and take charge of the corresponding affairs of PSSJ.
Chapter 6 Accounting
Article 38 The fiscal year of PSSJ commences on January 1st and ends on December 31st each year.
Article 39 1. The expenses of PSSJ are financed by Membership Fees and other incomes.
2. Accounting of PSSJ is administered in accordance with the Accounting Standards for Public Interest Corporations.
3. Expenses and budgets for PSSJ are discussed at the meeting of the Board of Council Members, and discussed and approved at the General Assembly.
Chapter 7 Supplementary Rules
Article 40 The detailed regulations for enforcing this Rules of PSSJ may be separately provided with the approval of the Board of Council Members, provided that, when there is any urgent need for revision, the President may revise the regulations without discussion and approval by the Standing Committee. The revision, however, must be discussed and approved by the Board of Council Members later.
This Rules of PSSJ becomes effective on May 28th, 2011.