The 46th Annual Meeting of the Pesticide Science Society of Japan
The 46th Annual Meeting of the Pesticide Science Society of Japan will be held over three days between March 8 (Mon) and 10 (Wed), 2021. This meeting will be held in a hybrid in-person/virtual format, with a limited number of in-person attendees being accepted at Fuchu-no-Mori Theater in Fuchu City, Tokyo, and the others participating via live streaming or watching the recordings made available on demand. The members of the Society and others interested are cordially invited to the meeting. As usual, the regular and student members of the two plant protection-related academic societies (The Phytopathological Society of Japan/The Japanese Society of Applied Entomology & Zoology), the Weed Science Society of Japan, and The Japanese Society for Chemical Regulation of Plants will be treated as members of our Society. We would appreciate it if you could encourage these members around you to participate in or give a presentation at the meeting. We also welcome the participation of non-members. Honorary members and life members will be sent their log-in IDs and passwords. Also, each sustaining member will be sent a log-in ID and a password that can be used by one person only. These members can register for the meeting after receiving their IDs and passwords. The proceedings of the meeting will be made available in PDF format, and hard copies will not be available.
General meeting, award ceremony for the Society’s prizes
Held at Furusato Hall at Fuchu-no-Mori Theater (capped at 250 people).
Three minutes walk from Higashi-Fuchu Station on Keio Line (Keio Corporation).
Live streaming: URL, ID, and password will be sent to participants on a later day.
Speeches by prize recipients, special presentations
On-demand: URL, ID, and password will be sent to participants on a later day.
Social gatherings, parties
General presentations, symposium, luncheon seminars
URL, ID, and password will be sent to participants on a later day. There will be online Q&A sessions (via Zoom) after the presentations.
While we will not have a venue set aside for an exhibition, please contact the Meeting Organization Committee if you are interested in participating in one.
March 8 (Mon) - 10 (Wed), 2021
|March 8 (Mon)||Award Lectures, Special Lectures, General Lectures, Symposiums and Seminars can be viewed all day.||On-demand|
|Editorial Board and Trustees Board||General Meeting and Award Ceremony||Furusato Hall at Fuchu-no-Mori Theater (capped at 250 people) and virtual (Zoom) participations|
|March 9 (Tue)||Award Lectures, Special Lectures, General Lectures, Symposiums and Seminars can be viewed all day.||On-demand|
|Q & A for Symposium 1||Q & A for General presentations
Q & A for Companies and organizations seminar
|March 10 (Wed)||Award Lectures, Special Lectures, General Lectures, Symposiums and Seminars can be viewed all day.||On-demand|
|Q & A for Symposium 2||Q & A for General presentations
Q & A for Companies and organizations seminar
The online Q & A session will be held at the following time via live streaming by Zoom.
The schedule is still under consideration and will be announced in the program around the end of February.
|March 8 (Mon)||General Meeting|
|March 9 (Tue)||Symposium 1||Companies and organizations seminar 1
Japan Crop Protection Association
|Companies and organizations seminar 2
Charles River Laboratories Japan
|March 10 (Wed)||Companies and organizations seminar 3||Symposium 2||Companies and organizations seminar 4||General Lectures
|Companies and organizations seminar 5|
*The award ceremony is for the 2020 and 2021 prize winners. Following the ceremony, each winner will give a short speech (5 min). The regular councilors meeting will be held on March 7 (Sun), and the councilors meeting and the editorial committee’s meeting will be held in the morning of March 8 (Mon) at Furusato Hall of Fuchu-no-Mori Theater, which will be live-streamed. URL, ID, and password will be sent to participants on a later day.
1. Special presentations
（1） “Responsible Production and Consumption” and synthetic organic reactions
Kazuhiro CHIBA (President, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology)
(1) "Building the future of biocontrol science - Challenge of pesticide science for new developments" (Tentative title)
March 9 (Tue), 2021 PM. Moderators: Koki TOYODA and Tsutomu ARIE
Takeshi SUZUKI, Graduate School of Bio-Applications and Systems Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
"Prediction of the number of brown-winged green bugs and the damage suppression effect of a double-layer fruit protection bag on loquats - New EBC that uses meta-analysis (Tentative title)"
Ken SHIMIZU, Chiba Prefectural Agriculture and Forestry Research Center
Prospects of pest control that uses symbiont
Maki INOUE, Faculty of Agriculture, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
Development of an environmentally friendly anti-fouling agent against marine sessile organisms
Yoshikazu KITANO, Faculty of Agriculture, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
Plant activator-based protective measures against plant viruses
Ken KOMATSU, Faculty of Agriculture, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
Development of a molecule that controls the drought stress response of plants
Masanori OKAMOTO, Center for Bioscience Research and Education, Utsunomiya University
Looking at the biosynthesis and functions of growth control substances through the lens of evolution from mosses to flowering plants
Hiroshi KAWAIDE, Faculty of Agriculture, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
(2) "Pesticide Science between Biology and Chemistry"
March 10 (Wed), 2021 AM. Moderators: Koji NOGE and Ken KOMATSU
- Kotomi UENO, Tottori Univ.
- Shingo KIKUTA, Ibaraki Univ.
- Yasuyuki YAMAJI, Tokyo Univ.
- Yoshimasa TANIGUCHI, Kirin Holdings Company, Ltd.
- Sota SATO, Tokyo Univ.
- Tetsuya KADONOSONO, Tokyo Institute of Technology
These Videos will be available on demand during the meeting, and the Q & A sessions via Zoom will be held on March 9 (Tue) and March 10(Wed).
Japan Crop Protection Association (capped at 300 people)
Charles River Laboratories Japan (capped at 300 people)
Others - TBA
The members of our Society (and the aforementioned four academic societies) who have paid the membership fee for 2021 are eligible to submit abstracts for general presentation. Only online submissions are accepted.
To register for a general presentation, the representative presenter must take the following three steps:
1. Go to the registration page (Click here). Members will be asked to enter their membership number and password for the authentication of their current membership status.
2. If you are a member of the Pesticide Science Society of Japan, your name, email address, application category, affiliation, and the address to which the proceedings will be sent (the address to which our scientific journals have been sent) will be automatically entered. If you click on “Send,” the system will check if all required fields have been filled and display a pop-up message for confirmation. By clicking on “OK” on the pop-up message, your registration is complete, and the receipt number and the URL and password for your “My Page” will be emailed to you.
3. By logging in to My Page, you can enter or confirm details of your registration, your presentation, registration fee payment, program, and other information. (Deadline for the submission of abstracts: January 25 (Mon), 2021. Please see “VI. Preparation of abstracts” for details.)
*Information required for the application for general presentation
Please enter the following information:
① Title of presentation
② Name of presenters (list all co-presenters if any. All presenters must be identified in the presenter category space, i.e., representative presenter or co-presenter.)
③ Affiliation, contact details, email address
④ Classification (Refer to Classification tables I and II., e.g., 1st preference B–1, 2nd preference E–5)
⑤ Membership number of the representative
*This information cannot be changed after the deadline.
"④Classification" will be used for programming. Please specify your preferred field of expertise by combining a letter in Classification table I and a number in Classification table II.
"⑤Membership number of the representative" is a six-digit number shown in the lower right of the name of addressee on the envelope used to mail the journals to you. The number can also be found in our announcement emails sent to the members. Please contact the Secretariat of the Pesticide Science Society of Japan.
|Classification I||Classification II|
|A. Molecular design||1 Pesticide|
|B Natural products chemistry||2 Fungicide|
|C Synthesis process, green chemistry||3 Herbicide|
|D Action mechanism, resistance||4 Plant growth control regulator|
|E Biological activity, assay||5 Epidemic-preventional drug|
|F Metabolism, decomposition, dynamics||6 Biological agrochemical|
|G Formulation, application method||7 Environmental chemical|
|H Residue, analytical method||8 Other (please describe briefly)|
|I. Environmental science, ecological effect|
|K Gene science|
|L Regulatory science|
|M Other (please describe briefly)|
Paper media cannot be used to submit your abstracts. Download the Word fileand overwrite it to prepare your abstract. Presenters must submit their abstracts by uploading the completed Word file and its PDF version from “Register presentation” in My Page. Submitted abstracts will be converted to A4-size PDF by the Secretariat.
- Abstracts must be prepared by overwriting “Template of general presentation abstract” on Microsoft Word for Windows or Microsoft Word for Mac. You can insert figures and tables in your abstract. Each abstract is limited to one page. Please refer to the example abstract when preparing your abstract.
- Format (Refer to “Template of general presentation abstract” and the example abstract)
a. Use A4-sized paper with top and bottom margins of 25 mm and left and right margins of 20 mm.
b. Write the title and names (affiliations) in the first line, with the left-side blank space of 25 mm (45 mm together with the side margin). If there are multiple authors, indicate the presenter with the symbol ○ before the name.
c. Write the title, names (affiliations), abstract, and footnotes by changing lines in this order. Insert one line between names (affiliations) and abstract.
d. Limit the number of lines (including the title, names, and footnotes) to around 36.
e. Your abstract must consist of aim, method, results, and discussion and should be written concretely. Results and discussion, especially, should be written in a manner that readers can understand clearly.
f. Use 12-point font size. For characters, use bold Gothic (MSP Gothic is recommended) for the title and Minchotai (MSP Mincho is recommended) for the rest. Numbers and alphabets should, in principle, be written in single-byte characters.
g. As footnotes, write the title and names (affiliations) in English within the bottom 30 mm of the frame.
h. When you write your abstract in English, use Times New Roman where possible and the same format described above.
- Submit your abstract in both Word and PDF formats. After PDF conversion, check if the figures and tables in your abstract have sufficient resolutions, and there are no garbling of characters.
- The file names should be “your name in single-byte lowercase alphabets.doc” and “your name in single-byte lowercase alphabets.pdf.” For example, if your name is Jane Smith, the file names should be janesmith.doc and janesmith.pdf.
- The copyright of the abstracts included in the proceedings of the meeting (including their reproduction rights and public transmission rights) belongs to the Pesticide Science Society of Japan. Make sure to accept the statement “We accept this by the consent of all authors” by putting a check in the “Accept” button.
- (1) Create one file for each presentation and name it “presentation number_presenter name (use single-byte alphabets).mp4”.
- （2）The duration of each presentation is 12 minutes.Adjust the number of slides taking into consideration the presentation time. Use appropriate font sizes and characters for your slides so that they can be read from a distance.
- (3) In preparing your slides, to prevent the garbling of characters, avoid platform-dependent characters (e.g.,①、（株））as much as possible.
- （4）This meeting will also be held in an on-demand format. Presenters record their presentations using Zoom, PowerPoint, or other tools, and the recordings can be registered in the program from My Page using drag-and-drop. Participants can view the presentations by clicking on the presentation titles on the program. The following are the steps for preparing a video (MP4) using a PowerPoint: (1) Click on the “Slide Show” tab; (2) Click on “Record Slide Show”; (3) Click on “Record from Current Slide”; (4) Click on “Start Recording” to start recording; and (5) Your recording is automatically saved when finished. Check to make sure it has been properly saved; and (6) Save the video in MP4 format - (a) Go to the “File” tab and click on “Export”; (b) Click on “Create a Video”; (c) Click on HD70 (720p); and (d) Click on “Create Video.”
- （5）Check that the file created is played smoothly on Zoom or PowerPoint.
Early-bird discounts end on February 1 (Mon), 2021; however, online pre-registration is accepted until February 26 (Fri).
Click here to register.
Members will be asked to enter their membership number and password for the authentication of their current membership status.
If you are a member of the Pesticide Science Society of Japan, your name, email address, application category, affiliation, and the address to which the proceedings will be sent (the same address to which our journals have been sent) will be automatically entered.
If you click “Send,” the system will check if all required fields have been filled and display a pop-up message for confirmation.
By clicking on “OK” on the pop-up message, your registration is complete, and the receipt number and the URL and password for your “My Page” will be emailed to you. By logging in to My Page, you can enter or confirm details of your registration, your presentation(s), registration fee payment, program, and other information.
*Payment can be made by credit card or bank transfer. Public and school funds cannot be used for this payment.
- Early-bird discounts: Until February 1 (Mon), 2021. Please note that after this date, different registration fees will apply (see the table below). For the smooth operation of the meeting, we would be grateful if you use early-bird registration. General participants who will not be doing a presentation are also encouraged to use early-bird registration.
- The registration fees for the regular and student members of two plant protection-related academic societies (The Phytopathological Society of Japan/The Japanese Society of Applied Entomology & Zoology), the Weed Science Society of Japan, and the Japanese Society for Chemical Regulation of Plants will be the same as those for the members of our Society.
- Submitted registration fees will not be refundable.
- The receipt for the registration fee can be printed from My Page.
(including the fee for accessing the proceedings in PDF format)
|Regular members||6,000 yen||8,000 yen on and after February 2 (Tue)|
|Student menbers||2,000 yen||3,000 yen on and after February 2 (Tue)|
|Non-members||8,000 yen||10,000 yen on and after February 2 (Tue)|
|Proceedings only||3,000 yen||In PDF file|
Please support this meeting by putting advertisements in the proceedings, running a booth at the exhibition, holding luncheon seminars, etc. For application details, including contact information, refer to the Word documents below. To make the 46th Annual Meeting of the Pestifice Science Society of Japan successful, your understanding of the aim and your support for the meeting would be much appreciated.
- Information on advertising at the 46th meeting
- Information on seminars for companies and organizations: Please contact the organizing committee below.
Please refer to the following two points when preparing advertisement data.
(1) Ad sizes
- A4, full-page: max. H 265 mm x W 180 mm
- A4, half-page: max. H 126 mm x W 180 mm
(2) File format for submission
The files submitted must be in ai or eps format. Prepare your ad in one of these formats and email it and its PDF version (used for checking) to us.
Your ad must be monochrome or grayscale. Please also outline your ai or eps data.
Dr. Tsutomu Arie
※Please convert [at] to @.
Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
Professor, Laboratory of Plant Pathology, Graduate School of Agriculture
3-5-8 Saiwaicho, Fuchu, Tokyo 183-8509, Japan
Phone & Facsimile +81-42-367-5691
Trustee for Education, Vice-President
3-8-1 Harumicho, Fuchu, Tokyo 183-8538, Japan